Decision No. 54/2010/QĐ-TTg dated August 24th 2010 by the Prime Minister
Article 1. Position and functions
1. The General Statistics Office is an authority under the Ministry of Planning and Investment, performing the function of advising, assisting the Minister of Planning and Investment in implementing State management on statistics; organizing statistical activities and providing socio-economic statistical information to authorities, organizations and individuals as prescribed by law.
2. The General Statistics Office has legal personality, a seal bearing the national emblem, a separate account and is headquartered in Hanoi city.
Article 2. Duties and powers
The General Statistics Office performs the following duties and powers:
1. To submit to the Minister of Planning and Investment for submission to the Government and the Prime Minister for consideration and decision on:
a) Projects of laws, ordinances and draft resolutions of the National Assembly, the National Assembly Standing Committee; the draft decrees of the Government, the draft decisions of the Prime Minister on statistics;
b) Strategies, planning and action plans, important projects, schemes on statistics;
c) The system of national statistical indicators, Basic statistical reporting regime, General statistical reporting regime, National statistical survey program, Statistical classification tables generally applied to many branches and sectors; decisions on statistical censuses and other important legal documents on statistics as specified by law.
2. To submit to the Minister of Planning and Investment for consideration and decision on:
a) Regulation on dissemination of statistical information, Statistical indicator system of provinces, districts and communes; contents, methods of calculating major statistical indicators;
b) Five-year plans and annual plans of Statistics branch;
c) Other documents in the field of statistics issued under the issuing authority of the Minister of Planning and Investment.
3. To assist the Minister of Planning and Investment in directing, propagating, disseminating and educating law on statistics and organize the implementation of legal documents, policies, strategies, planning, plans, programs, projects and schemes after the same is approved and issued by competent authorities.
4. To promulgate documents and instructions on statistical classification, statistical reporting regimes, statistical surveys, exploitation of administrative registration dossiers to serve statistical work and other statistics professional documents in accordance with law.
5. To provide professional training on statistics for people doing statistical work of the Ministries, Ministerial-level authorities, Government authorities, Supreme People's Court, People's Procuracy, People's Committees of all levels, enterprises and service delivery units.
6. To make professional and specialized evaluation on the Specialized statistical classification table, Basic statistical reporting regime, General statistical reporting regime, list of statistical surveys outside the National statistical survey program and the statistical survey plan before the Ministers, Heads of Ministerial-level authorities, Heads of Government authorities, Chief Judge of the Supreme People's Court, Prosecutor General of the Supreme People's Procuracy, Heads of the Central authorities of organizations, unions, and Chairmen of the provincial, municipal People’s Committees make issuance decisions.
7. To consolidate statistical reports and reports on statistical survey results provided by the Ministries, Ministerial-level authorities, Government authorities, Supreme People's Court, People's Procuracy, People's Committees of provinces and municipalities and other authorities and units.
8. To make statistical reports and forecasts on socio-economic situation on a monthly, quarterly, annual and multi-annual basis; assessment report on completion level of targets in the national socio-economic development strategy and plan; specialized statistical analysis reports and other extraordinary statistical reports.
9. To access, exploit, back up, record initial statistical database of authorities and units performing Basic statistical reporting regime, General statistical reporting regime, statistical investigation and administrative registration dossiers of authorities and organizations to use for statistical purposes; to build, manage and share national statistical database, national statistical data repository on society and economy as prescribed by law.
10. To assist the Minister of Planning and Investment in managing the disclosure of socio-economic statistics information in accordance with legal provisions.
11. To publish statistical information in the National statistical index system; to provide socio-economic information to domestic and foreign authorities, organizations and individuals in accordance with legal provisions.
12. To compile, publish the Statistical Yearbook and other statistical products.
13. To execute foreign statistical work, including: collecting, compiling general statistical data on socio-economic conditions of other countries, territories, making international comparison on statistics and disseminating international statistical methodologies; to implement international cooperation in the field of statistics as prescribed by law and decentralization by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
14. To direct, organize research and application of statistical science; applying advanced statistical methods;
15. To apply, develop information and communications technology in the process of gathering, processing, synthesis, analysis, forecasting, dissemination and storage of statistical information.
16. To manage apparatus organization and personnel; to implement salary regime, preferential allowance regime in accordance with statistical sector and other treatment regimes, policies; emulation, reward and discipline; professional training, retraining for officers, public servants and civil servants under its management as stipulated by law and decentralization by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
17. To implement administrative reform; prevention of corruption and waste; checking, inspection, settlement of complaints and denunciations on violations of law under its management as prescribed by law.
18. To manage finance, asset and construction investment projects assigned under the provisions of law and decentralization of the Minister of Planning and Investment.
19. To provide public services on statistics in accordance with legal provisions.
20. To perform State management on service delivery units under autonomous, self-responsible regime and enterprises directly under the General Statistics Office in accordance with legal provisions.
21. To implement other duties and powers as prescribed by law or by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 3. Organizational structure
The General Statistics Office is organized in a vertical system from the Central to local level in administrative units, ensuring the principles of centralization and uniformity:
1. Central General Statistics Office:
a) Administrative organizations assisting the Director General to perform State management functions:
- Statistical Methodology and Information Technology Department;
- Integral Statistics Department;
- National Account System Department;
- Industrial Statistics Department;
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishery Statistics Department;
- Trade and Service Statistics Department;
- Construction and Investment Capital Statistics Department;
- Price Statistics Department;
- Population and Labor Statistics Department;
- Social - Environmental Statistics Department;
- Foreign Statistics and International Cooperation Department;
- Human Resources Department;
- Planning and Finance Department;
- Legal, Propaganda and Emulation – Reward Department;
- Office (having a Representative office in Ho Chi Minh City).
b) Service delivery organizations:
- Institute of Statistics Science;
- Statistical Documentation and Service Center;
- Statistical Computer Center I;
- Statistical Computer Center II;
- Statistical Computer Center III;
- Figures and Events Journal;
- Statistical Publishing House;
- Statistical Secondary School;
2. Local statistical offices:
a) Provincial and municipal Statistical Offices (collectively referred to as provincial Statistics Offices) directly under the General Statistics Office.
b) Statistical Offices of districts, towns, provincial cities (collectively referred to as district-level Statistical Offices) directly under the provincial Statistical Offices.
The provincial Statistical Offices, district-level Statistical Offices have legal status, a separate seal, head office and are entitled to open an account at the State Bank of Vietnam under legal provisions.
Article 4. Leadership of the General Statistics Office
1. The General Statistics Office has a Director General and no more than 03 Deputy Directors General.
2. The Director General and Deputy Directors General are appointed, dismissed by the Minister of Planning and Investment in accordance with legal provisions.
The Director General specifies functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the authorities and units directly under the General Statistics Office; appointing, dismissing, removal of the heads and deputy heads of Director General specifying the functions, duties, powers and organizational structure of the agencies and units under the General Department of Statistics in accordance with legal provisions and decentralization by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
3. The Director General is responsible to the Minister of Planning and Investment and to the law for the whole operations of the General Statistics Office. The Deputy Directors General are responsible to the Director General and to the law for the assigned work.
Article 5. Validity and implementation responsibilities
1. This Decision is valid for implementation from October 10, 2010.
The previous documents contrary to the provisions in this Decision are annulled.
2. The Ministers, Heads of Ministerial-level authorities, Heads of Government authorities, Chairmen of the provincial, municipal People’s Committees, Director General of the General Statistics Office and other organizations, individuals related to statistical work are responsible for implementing this Decisions./.
Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung
(For reference only)