Decision No. 494/QD-BKH dated April 14, 2009 by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 1. The Foreign Economic Relations Department under the Ministry of Planning and Investment assists the Minister in performing the functions of foreign economic aggregation, State management of official development assistance (ODA) resources, foreign non-governmental aids and performing the task of socio-economic development cooperation with Lao People's Democratic Republic and the Kingdom of Cambodia, international economic integration, economic cooperation in Greater Mekong Sub-region under the Ministry’s management
Article 2. The Foreign Economic Relations Department has the following duties:
1. To study, participate in making socio-economic development strategies and planning in the whole country, territorial planning, 5-year plans and annual plans on the contents related to foreign economic relations, including general external economic relations, ODA and foreign non-governmental aids.
2. To study, participating in development of strategies and plans for cooperation among Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia, international economic integration, economic cooperation in Greater Mekong Sub-region.
3. To preside the drafting of legal documents in the field of external economic relations as assigned, including state management of ODA, foreign non-governmental aids and other relevant legal documents.
4. To act as a focal point in attraction, coordination and state management of ODA:
a) To preside the drafting of strategies, policies and orientation to attract and use ODA for the Ministry to submit to the Government;
b) To instruct governing bodies to make a List of programs and projects prioritized for ODA mobilization; consolidating the List of ODA programs and projects required for funding for each specific donor, submitting to the Prime Minister for approval;
c) To preside the preparation of contents, organizing mobilization and coordination of ODA sources in accordance with the strategies and orientations of attraction and use of ODA;
d) To preside the preparation of contents and negotiating framework international treaties on ODA, reporting to the Ministry leaders to submit to the Prime Minister for consideration and decision; supporting Ministries, branches and localities in preparing contents and monitoring the process of negotiating specific international treaties on ODA with donors; supporting the governing bodies which are not the authorities proposing the conclusion of specific international treaties on nonrefundable ODA for the Ministry leaders to recommend to the Prime Minister on the conclusion of these international treaties under the provisions of law;
dd) To preside and coordinate with units under the Ministry and relevant authorities to identify domestic financial regime on using ODA funds for ODA programs and projects;
e) To preside the consolidation and development of annual ODA disbursement plans, annual counterpart capital plans and handling unexpected demands on ODA funds for ODA programs and projects;
g) To coordinate with the Ministry of Finance to identify re-lending conditions for ODA re-lending programs and projects;
h) To preside the appraisal for the Ministry leaders to submit to the Prime Minister for approval of program documentation, technical assistance ODA projects subject to the approval authority of the Prime Minister in case of being assigned and technical assistance programs and projects governed by the Ministry to submit to the Ministry leaders for approval; to participate in appraisal of investment ODA programs and projects subject to the approval authority of the Prime Minister;
i) To preside and coordinate with the units under the Ministry to monitor and assess at national level the situation of ODA program and project implementation; to consolidate and implement the reporting regime of attraction, management and use of ODA funds, foreign non-governmental aids under legal provisions; to build and operate a database on ODA and foreign non-governmental aids;
k) To submit to the Ministry leaders for settlement in accordance to their authority or for recommendation to the Prime Minister for settlement of ODA issues related to a number of Ministries, sectors and localities;
l) To preside the implementation of uniform measures to improve the efficiency of management and use of ODA;
m) To coordinate with the Office of the Ministry in monitoring and assessing ODA programs, projects and foreign non-governmental aids as assigned to the Ministry to directly manage and implement;
n) To preside the drafting and dissemination of professional guiding documents on mobilization, preparation, appraisal, implementation management, monitoring, assessment of programs, projects; to assist the training on program, project management towards professionalism and sustainability.
5. To perform the duties of the Deputy Leader of the Government’s ODA Working Group and the Head of Secretariat of the ODA Working Group;
6. To perform State management duties for foreign non-governmental aids under the management of the Ministry.
7. In respect to cooperation with Laos and Cambodia:
a) To assist the Minister in performing duties of the Standing Vietnam Sub-committee in the Intergovernmental Committees of Vietnam - Laos and Vietnam – Cambodia, acting as the Secretary of Vietnam - Laos and Vietnam – Cambodia Sub-committees. To prepare Government Treaties on economic, cultural, scientific and technical cooperation between Vietnam and Laos, and between Vietnam and Cambodia. To build and organize the implementation of cooperation programs between the two countries on the basis of the concluded Treaties;
b) To study, consolidate mechanisms, policies and develop long-term, 5-year and annual cooperation plans on economic, cultural and scientific and technological cooperation with Laos and Cambodia; to direct, inspect and urge the Ministries, branches and localities and report periodically on the implementation of the cooperation plans with Laos and Cambodia; to make recommendations to the Prime Minister on directive measures to uniformly manage the investment of Vietnam into Laos and Cambodia.
c) To perform permanent duties to assist the Minister, President of Vietnam Coordination Committee on Development Triangle, proposing mechanisms, policies and measures for directing, operating, promoting economic cooperation in Laos-Cambodia-Vietnam Triangle Area; to draft the programs, contents of cooperation, coordination of activities between the three countries of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. To direct, inspect and urge the Ministries, branches and localities in the implementation of concluded agreements.
d) To be in a direct relationship with the Department of Economic Counselors, Vietnam Culture in Laos to solve the problems arising in the implementation of cooperation relationship as agreed with Laos;
8. In respect to economic cooperation in Greater Mekong Sub-region:
a) To perform the duties of the national coordinator of economic cooperation in Greater Mekong Sub-region;
b) To perform the duties of the National standing secretary of economic cooperation in Greater Mekong Sub-region.
9. In respect to international economic integration:
a) To act as a focal point for international economic integration to the extent assigned to the Ministry of Planning and Investment;
b) To monitor, urge and report on the situation of implementation of international economic integration duties of the units under the Ministry.
10. In respect to foreign economic consolidation: to coordinate with the Ministries, branches and relevant units under the Ministry to synthesize foreign economic relations to serve the Ministry leaders and the Government.
11. To perform other duties in the field of foreign economic relations as assigned by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 3. The Foreign Economic Relations Department has a Director General and a number of Deputy Directors General. The Department operates in specialist regime. The Department’s personnel are separately determined by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
The Foreign Economic Relations Department has the following functional divisions and boards:
1. General Division;
2. Asia, America and International Economic Integration Division;
3. Japan and Northeast Asia Division;
4. Europe and Africa Division;
5. International and Foreign Non-Governmental Organization Division;
6. International Financial Institution Division;
7. Cooperation Committees with Laos and Cambodia.
Article 4. The Director General of Foreign Economic Relations Department specifies particular duties and personnel of each unit in the Department within the scope of duties and personnel assigned by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 5. This Decision takes effect from the date of signing. The previous provisions contrary to this Decision are annulled.
Article 6. The Director General of Foreign Economic Relations Department, Director General of Organization and Personnel Department, Chief of Ministry Office and Heads of relevant units are responsible for implementing this Decision./.
Minister Vo Hong Phuc
(For reference only)