Decision No. 1886/QD-BKHDT dated December 22th, 2017 by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 1. Position and functions
The Department of National Defense, Security is under the Ministry of Planning and Investment and assists the Minister in performing functions of state management over planning and development investment combining socio-economic development with national defense and security consolidation in all fields and areas of the whole country; ensuring national defense and security demands during the time of peace and war, mechanisms and policies related to national defense and security.
Article 2. Responsibilities
1. To research strategies, master plans and plans on ensuring national defense and security demands; to coordinate with related units within the Ministry in formulating the general socio-economic development strategy of the whole country, regional and territorial development master plans tied to national defense and security demands.
2. To preside over the synthesization of medium-term and annual public investment plans on ensuring national defense and security demands during the time of peace and war, including sectors and fields of national defense, security, justice, land border, the East Sea and islands, revolutionary safety zones and the Government’s cipher; responsibilities of Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Management Board, Veteran’s Union of Vietnam; targeted Programs of: National defense and security in key areas; the East Sea and islands to ensure national defense and security on the sea and islands; Traffic order and safety assurance, fire prevention and fighting, crime and drug prevention; Defense Industry to implement Resolution No. 06-NQ/TW of the Politburo.
3. To research, propose, balance and select investment projects, programs to ensure National Defense and Security within the fields under the Department’s management; to act as a focal point in monitoring, managing programs and projects in the fields of National Defense, Security, Justice under the Ministry’s competence.
4. To assume the prime responsibility for organizing the appraisal of special master plans, programs, projects in the fields of National Defense, Security, Justice; to coordinate with related units in appraising projects on development master planning of sectors, territories and investment projects; participate in the appraisal of new establishment, arrangement and reorganization of enterprises in the sector of National Defense and Security.
5. To research, participate in proposing mechanisms and policies on development of, and ensuring responsibilities in, National Defense and Security and Justice, overcoming the consequences of toxic chemicals after war, search and rescue; participate in formulating projects on laws, ordinances, other legal documents related to national defense and security under the Ministry’s management competence.
6. To examine, monitor and synthesize the implementation of master plans, plans, programs, projects; to report, assess the implementation of monthly, quarterly and annual plans of sectors and fields under the Department’s management; to propose solutions for handling any arising matters during the implementation of plans.
7. To coordinate with related units in instructing, monitoring, inspecting, examining, supervising and evaluating the investment of master planning projects and investment projects related to National Defense, Security, Justice falling under the Ministries' competence.
8. To organize the research, forecast and collect information on National Defense and Security matters related to socio-economic activities to serve the formulation and management of plans.
9. To act as a focal point in synthesizing plans of the ministries, branches of National Defense, Public Security, Justice, Supreme People's Court, Government’s Cipher Board, Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Management Board and Veteran’s Union of Vietnam.
10. To perform other duties assigned by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 3. Organizational structure
The Department of National Defense, Security has a Director General and a number of Deputy Directors General. The Department’s personnel is determined by the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Senior officers and specialists within the Department of National Defense, Security are sent specially by the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Public Security at the request of the Minister of Planning and Investment. The titles of senior officers and specialists of the Department of National Defense, Security are equivalent to the titles of officers working in the agencies of the Ministry of National Defense and the Ministry of Public Security, which is defined by the Minister of National Defense and the Minister of Public Security upon mutual agreement with the Minister of Planning and Investment.
Article 4.Entry into force
This Decision takes effect on the date of its signing. The previously promulgated regulations which are contrary to this Decision are annulled.
Article 5. Implementation responsibilities
The Director General of the Department of Organization and Personnel, the Chief of the Ministry Office, the Director General of the Department of National Defense, Security and Heads of relevant units, organizations under the Ministry are responsible for implementing this Decision./.
Minister of Planning and Investment
Nguyen Chi Dung
(English for reference only)
Ministry of Planning and Investment